|On Sunday, April 8, 1956, the last regularly scheduled streetcar completed its final run in Detroit when PCC car #233 pulled into the
DSR Woodward Carhouse in Highland Park at 5:56 A.M. Later that afternoon, an unknown cameraman filmed a 24-car procession of
PCC cars during a DSR sponsored "End of the Line" grand parade and final excursion along Woodward Avenue. That final parade is
the focus of our video clip, courtesy of the Prelinger Archives Collection.
Take a look back, as the last of Detroit's PCC cars enter and leave the Fairgrounds Loop (the northern terminus of the Woodward line)
on that last day, while the replacement GM diesel buses can be seen looming in the background throughout the video. Also included
are scenes at Woodward and Six Mile (at the Detroit / Highland Park border), where the cars stop for a photo taking session. There's
also a view at Woodward at Fort Street in downtown Detroit, where the cars looped for the return trip. Other vehicles participating in the
parade, including a Model-T fire engine and turn-of-the-century automobiles, are also visible in this April 8, 1956 film clip.