Assigned to the east-side Shoemaker Terminal, the 5.1-mile long route required five coaches during peak hours and two during the base hours. However, ridership on the line would remain "marginal" at best.

By March of 1955, a number of the outlying bus routes, described by DSR general manager Leo J. Nowicki as a drain on DSR funds, were facing possible abandonment. Six bus routes: Bassett; Broadstreet; Cadieux; Five Points; Lahser; and Meyers were being considered for service elimination, with the Cadieux line to be amongst the first lines to be cut. However, instead of a total elimination of the lime, Sunday service was discontinued effective May 1, 1955, with adjusted headways the rest of the week. Timetables placed into effect on Oct. 1, 1957, show a 20-minute headway scheduled all day (Mon-Sat), with a 40-minute headway after 7 p.m. (see 1957 TIMETABLE)

Click here to return to the "BUS ROUTE HISTORY" Main Page.
© 2010  (PAGE LAST MODIFIED ON 01-10-10)
Information for the above article compiled from data information supplied by Jack E. Schramm, courtesy of "DSR BUS ROUTES, 1932-1945" ("Detroit's DSR,
Part 2" —
March–April 1992 edition of MCA magazine) and "DSR BUS ROUTES, 1945-1974" ("Detroit's DSR, Part 3" — May–June 1993 edition of Motor
Coach Age magazine). Additional info obtained from 1945 DSR Headway Reports courtesy of Stan Sycko, and 1957-58 DSR Service Maps in the author's
possession. Cadieux route-map, timetable and transfer images courtesy of the Stan Sycko collection. Information on 1955 DSR service cuts obtained from
copies of March 1955 editions of the Detroit Free Press and Detroit Times, courtesy of Ken Schramm.
Route operated under DSR
Like many of the streets located on the city's lower east-side, Cadieux Road (pronounced "CAD-joo")  
carries the family name of the landowner whose property that road once bordered.  Most  of  these
properties were "ribbon farms" —- narrow strips of property that extended inland for a mile or more,
and ran perpendicular to the river.  In general, these ribbon farms gave each landowner three to six
hundred feet of shoreline.

Cadieux Road, which runs northwestward from Lake St. Clair, and borders the cities of Groose Pointe
and Groose Pointe Park, and into the city of Detroit, was named after
Michael Cadieux, a Canadian
Frenchman born in Ile Perrot, Quebec, Canada in September 1785.  In 1803, at the age of eighteen,
Cadieux came to the Detroit area to join other Cadieux relatives who came to the New World in the
1700s.   In 1835, Cadieux purchased farmland in what was then a part of Hamtramck Township, but
in 1848 would become Groose Pointe Township
(today, the City of Groose Pointe). The road which
bordered his land became known as Cadieux Road.  Michael Cadieux died on July 24, 1865, in Groose
Pointe Township.
A "Free" DSR issued
CADIEUX transfer from
October 20, 1951.
(Courtesy of Stan Sycko)
The former Cadieux route was a short, light service bus line that began operations on Monday, July 21, 1941. The line was launched during the post-depression years of 1940–1942, when the DSR made a number of significant improvements to its bus operation. A number of new and reinstated routes were launched, and many short distance lines were extended to the outlying areas of the city.

Lines such as Hoover (renamed Conner); St. Aubin; Lahser; Eight Mile East; Seven Mile East; Wyoming- Meyers; Five Points; Schaefer; Southfield; Holbrook; Greenfield; and McGraw–Davison were examples of bus routes launched and extended outward during this period. Meanwhile, on the far east–side of town, the Cadieux bus line would begin servicing residents within that developing outlying area of the city.

Early Cadieux headways from November 2, 1945, show eleven-minute headways during peak hours, 22 minutes during the base, and 40 minutes during evening service.

During its last year of operation, the Cadieux line had to be rerouted via Harper, University, Chester and then Moross, effective July 7, 1958, due to construction of the Edsel B. Ford Expressway along Harper. However, the line was discontinued the following year due to low ridership numbers. Effective on June 18, 1959, the line was eliminated and the service along Cadieux street was replaced by the DSR's McNichols East line — which was extended from Harper and Whittier, via Harper and Cadieux to Mack.

D-DOT route #32 McNichols continues to provide service along Cadieux, between Harper and Mack, to this day.

This DSR map displays the route followed by the Cadieux bus
line during most of the route's years of operation.  
(Reformatted 12-29-13)