On May 1, 1955, the Dickerson line became one of ten bus routes where Sunday service was eliminated due to "little
demand" for the service. The nine other lines included Bassett, Broadstreet, Cadieux, Five Points, Lafayette-Green,
Meyers, Northlawn, Schaefer and Woodmere.
According to the March 28, 1955 edition of the Detroit Times, DSR general manager Leo J. Norwicki was reported as
saying that a February survey revealed that Sunday revenue on the ten lines ranged from 6 to 10 cents a mile, while it
costs the DSR 60 cents a mile to operate the service. The survey also revealed that on a recent Sunday only 820
passengers used the lines. As a result, Sunday service on all ten lines was discontinued.
Eventually, continued low ridership numbers would take a toll on the entire service. Effective March 30, 1959, the
Dickerson route itself was eliminated and the service was never replaced.
Information for the above article compiled from data information supplied by Jack E. Schramm, courtesy of "DSR BUS ROUTES, 1932-
1945" ("Detroit's DSR, Part 2" — March–April 1992 edition of MCA magazine) and "DSR BUS ROUTES, 1945-1974" ("Detroit's DSR,
Part 3" — May–June 1993 edition of Motor Coach Age magazine). Additional info obtained from 1950-54 DSR Headway Reports
courtesy of Tom Breeding, and from 1951, 1957-58 DSR Service Maps in the author's possession. Dickerson route-map, timetable and
transfer images courtesy of the Stan Sycko collection. Information on 1955 DSR service cuts obtained from copies of March 1955 editions
of the Detroit Free Press and Detroit Times, courtesy of Ken Schramm.
© 2010 – www.DetroitTransitHistory.info (PV 01-16-10)
Return to original version web-page: http://www.detroittransithistory.info/Routes/Dickerson.html
The former Dickerson bus line was a very short, light service bus route
which began operations on Monday, February 21, 1938. The 1.8-mile
long route basically operated from Gratiot and Houston (now Houston-
Whittier) via Dickerson to Harper. The original route looped at Harper via
east on Harper, south on Lenox, west on Hern to north on Dickerson, over
what today would be the I-94 (Ford) Freeway. Initially the route was
assigned to the Kercheval Garage (St. Jean at Kercheval) but was
transferred to the nearby larger Shoemaker Garage on July 3, 1939, when
that facility was converted into a bus garage and the Kercheval Garage
Effective May 27, 1940, the line was extended to the south and west
another 1½ miles to E. Warren and St. Jean via Dickerson and East
Warren. However, on Nov. 2, 1942, service south of Harper was
discontinued, with the line now looping again at Harper, but this time via
Park Drive, Evanston, and Dickerson (see map) — the route the line
would follow to the end.
Initially the Dickerson line operated under 20-minute headways during
peak, base and evening hours. Oddly, two coaches operated during peak
hours and one coach the rest of the day. However, effective Jan. 21, 1952,
service was cut to peak-hour only operation with one coach, but still
operated under a 20-minute headway.